Thursday, October 20, 2011

I'm baaack..Asparagus Fritters

After a super long hiatus I’m back. Caught up in the whirl wind of life I somehow allowed blogging to fall off the To Do List. What this now means is that I have a surplus of recipes, pictures and even a food festival to throw in. So enjoy!
I found this recipe while browsing through another blog, Closet Cooking. I always enjoy trying new things, new concepts, even putting a new twist on an old favorite. I thought this was a great recipe to try because I love asparagus and who doesn’t care for a little bit of fried goodness?
Here is Kevin from Closet Cooking's Recipe……..
Ingredients
  • 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
  • 1 handful dill, chopped
  • 1 handful parsley, chopped
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1/2 cup feta, crumbled
  • 1 egg
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup flour (I like to use whole wheat)
  • 2 tablespoons oil
Directions
1. Grate or process the asparagus in a food processor. (I actually just chopped-Ruby)
2. Mix the asparagus, herbs, green onions, feta, flour, egg, salt and pepper and enough flour that the mixture will hold together.
 

3. Heat the oil in a pan.
 
4. Spoon the asparagus mixture into the pan and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. 



Ingredients
·         1 egg (lightly beaten)
·         1/2 lemon (juice)
·         1 tablespoon dill chopped
·         1 tablespoon capers
Directions
1. Whisk the egg in bowl until frothy.
2. Slowly whisk in the lemon juice followed by the water.
3. Heat in a small sauce pan while whisking until the sauce thickens, mix in the dill and capers and remove from heat. (Do not bring it to a boil.)

I tried the fritters two different ways. Of course as I was making the first batch I tried a few as a snack. They are delicious on their own. I imagine they would make a great accompaniment to a salad or also served as an edible garnish aside a meat dish. For dinner I served the fritters topped with a poached egg and avgolemono sauce just as Closet Cooking suggests. The egg and light zestiness of the sauce definitely complimented the fritters in their search to become a full meal. I served them alongside roasted potatoes and green beans with parmesan olive oil sauce from SteamFresh. Overall, a very delicious meatless dish. 

1 comment: