Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cinco de Mayo

Happy Cinco de Mayo!...a little late, I know!

You all know I love a celebration! So in honor of everyone’s favorite Mexican holiday we went with a Mexican inspired dinner.

Carnita Style Chicken Tacos with Fajita Rice, Corn, Chips & Salsa, and ice cold Coronas!

I slow cooked the chicken all day. Before I left for work I threw three chicken breasts in a crock pot filled with water and a taco seasoning packet. By dinner time the chicken was falling to pieces. I drained the chicken and shredded it finely. I should have reserved some of the water to let the shredded chicken soak in while we constructed our tacos, but by the time I realized this it was too late. Next time I’ll have to keep this in mind. The tacos were served with shredded cheese, diced onions, chopped cilantro, and lime. Keeping tacos simple and authentic like this is my favorite way.

I will shamefully admit that our Fajita Rice did come out of a Rice-A-Roni box.

The corn however, was delicious. I pulled the husk down on two ears of corn and cleaned them off. I then rubbed them with butter, garlic, salt, pepper, and chili pepper for a little spice. I wrapped the ears back up in their husk, wrapped them again in aluminum foil, and baked in the oven for about 45 minutes.
The corn was so good even little Dank wanted some!

The dinner was also served with chips, salsa, and some very refreshing coronas! Ayi yi yi!

Fiesta Foreva!

Taco

No comments:

Post a Comment